Friday, June 19, 2015

TToT83: A Brief Interlude

Hello, my good friends.

I can always tell when I'm feeling better after having been sick because I get the urge to deep clean. Not just vacuum, mind you--more like wash the windows or some other task that only gets done when you really have the urge to clean.

By the time I started to come around from my strep, we were traveling like mad, so this week in the few days we've been home before we take off again, I've cleaned.

1. The crisper drawers of the fridge are sparkling.

2. The bottom drawer of the freezer de-stickified from melted popsicle from the time someone left the freezer door open all day.

3. All the other basic cleaning has been done, including the washing of sheets and towels.

4. Having worked through that urge, I now feel comfortable living with the relatively superficial cleaning I do week to week.

5. AND...bum, bum, bum, I finally finished painting that corner cabinet I got for $20! Tell me it doesn't look great! You can't.
NOT the final decorating for those shelves, I assure you.

6. There's nothing like staying really, really busy with mindless tasks like painting and cleaning to help you process really terrible news.

7. And then, Brian and I celebrated a night out for our eight-year anniversary! It's not easy, but we've made it this far. Cause for celebration!


8. I got a lot off my chest with some writing about my old hometown this week and was rewarded with some thoughtful, positive feedback. Thank you, friends. That was an emotional piece, and I appreciate your feedback so much. 

9. Tomorrow we head to Utah for a family vacation!

10. I'm already packed.

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

31 comments :

  1. Packed for vacation the night before? That's way more organized than I ever am. I love your corner cabinet, the white and green are so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels! I hope the trip is refreshing a loads of fun. Wow, the cleaning you've been doing. I have no such thing to report from my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One gets the urge from time to time. Or, I do.

      Delete
  3. Love the cabinet. I haven't gotten to the cleaning thing....but I know what you mean its a good distraction and it symbolizes the end of the illness. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cleaning - bleh. You did a great job on the corner cabinet. Those were such a useful, space saving piece back in the day. Hardly ever see them anymore. I love it. Enjoy the long trip to Utah and be sure to post pictures. Oh, and Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was kind of a mess and not really good-looking wood, so I didn't mind covering it with paint. That little corner was meant for a cabinet like this. I'd been holding out for one.

      Delete
  5. That corner cabinet looks fab, Sarah. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A clean house before vacation so you come back to a clean house?? That is marvelous. I don't think I can say I've ever done such a thing, though I dream of doing it one day. :)

    You did a great job with the cabinet. So cheerful.

    Happy Anniversary! I remember Year 8... Here's to many, many more dinners out!

    Have a super-fun time on your vacation! I'm so happy you get to travel so much this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy with all of this, too, and glad you are, as well.

      Delete
  7. Utah! cool! (I've actually gone there a couple of years in a row…on business) flat with mountains not bad! Salt Lake City very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when we landed in SLC. The city is so flat and ringed by mountains! But now we're up in the mountains.

      Delete
  8. I love the cabinet, and it fits perfectly in that space between the doors! Good for you!
    I have been working on cleaning out our basement for the past couple of weeks. When I get THAT done, then I can give the rest of the house a good once-over. You're really going to appreciate your efforts when you come back from that vacation to a sparkling clean house.
    Happy anniversary! Have a wonderful vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dyanne! I am so excited about having that cabinet. That corner was meant for one.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cabinet looks great, and what a wonderful feeling to come home from vacation to a clean house! Loved your post about Asheville. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops! Back to triplicate comments. I've got to stop trying to comment on my phone. Feel free to delete the extras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a terrible time commenting from my phone too.

      Delete
  13. I wrote a comment Friday, but my phone is dumb and wouldn't let it go through. Let's see if I remember it--if you get the cleaning urge again, I definitely have a fridge that needs help! The cabinet looks fabulous. Happy anniversary, and have a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's blogger blogs. I have the hardest time commenting from my phone on them too. My fridge is enough, thankyouverymuch. :)

      Delete
  14. Oh my gosh, that corner cabinet is precious, Sarah.
    Just love it.

    With blessings,
    Dani

    P.S. Happy Anniversary. Here's to 8 more :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated Anniversary! Hubs and I just celebrated one, too. Another year is always cause for celebration - I agree. I LOVE your corner cabinet ... and envy your sparkling clean house! It will definitely be nice to return to following your vacation. Hope you have an excellent week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cabinet is perfect - I have corners like that where a cabinet would be perfect. Love what you did to it!
    Awesome cleaning binge (I need one desperately). Hope the vacation is wonderful! And sorry you have bad news to process, but yes, that sort of task is perfect for such things.
    Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you're feeling better! I have no idea what an urge to clean feels like. Hopefully I'll feel it soon and let you know :)
    That cabinet DOES look great! Green is one of our favorite colors. We have to consciously remind ourselves not to paint every single room green when we paint. Our living room is green, both bathrooms and our bedroom. I wanted a green kitchen this time, too, but with all that green everywhere else we stayed with orange. Happy anniversary!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!