Friday, August 21, 2015

TToT90: Back To It

In all this travel and hosting over the summer, I've accumulated quite the to-do pile. And this week, I started digging in. I paid bills and finished emails, filled out forms and made calls. And aside from one major task that stares me down every time I approach my computer, I can pat myself on the back.

I impromptu hosted an old friend/kind of relative, and I was pleased with how quickly I could do a splash-dash clean-up of the basement and also had a wonderful night talking for hours about ancestors.

I made some decisions that needed to be made.

I made a new hanging address sign. We have a yard light with an arm for a hanging sign that's stood empty for two years. I finally made one. It's a bit boring at this point--white with black numbers. But I figured I might as well hang it while I'm considering how to spiff it up. 

I've started building the book shelves for our bedroom. I've got one shelf sanded, stained, and up with a little help from Home Depot and a neighbor with a chop saw. This project has taken quite a bit more physical labor than I usually put into my daily tasks, and I find my back and shoulders are sore tonight from sanding and schlepping for the last two days. But, books off the floor!

We may very well have taken care of that pesky carbon monoxide problem we found we were having. AND got the warranty to pay for part of it. Now we can re-insulate the attic. 'Cause we like to spend thousands at a time on home repairs.

I've felt a hint of fall in the air for some time. I caught myself in a doubletake as I drove home from Chattanooga a couple weekends ago when I saw a tree with a smattering of crimson leaves. Today, though, that hint started to feel a bit less subtle. Unlike others in this hope, I welcome the change: spring and fall are my favorites.

But none compare to my final one...




Are you ready?




I may (crossed fingers, knocking on wood) be done with diapers!!! ('Cept those nighttime ones.)

It took two whole days of staying home and the purchase of a red potty (at his request) to get that habit engrained, but I've got a boy who goes without prompting and then insists on emptying and rinsing his potty on his own. I'm feeling obsolete. In a good way. But I still get to pass out these (and take a few for myself while I'm at it).

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

26 comments :

  1. LEO!LEO!LEO! WAY TO GO!!!!! CONGRATS!AND for mommy getting caught up as well....gonna take pics of the book shelves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been potty trained for many years now.
    :-)
    But I would choose a red potty too.
    Loooove autumn. I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOOOOOOOOO! Yeah, I approve his choice, too.

      Delete
  3. I had an orange potty. I liked it. I remember using it long past toileting age because INVARIABLY, if my sister or I remembered we needed to pee, SO DID THE OTHER ONE! So keep it around, even when Leo's done with it. But WAY TO GO, FELLA!

    Fall. WHYYYYYY! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought of that. I LOVE Fall!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I feel like naming this post "Renewal". It is filled with action and change and positivity. Congrats to Leo on that milestone. (And, you, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renewal would definitely be good. I think I need to throw a done with diapers party.

      Delete
  5. Ohhh, the diaper thing, or lack thereof, is BIG. BIG! I really wasn't sure my son would ever be potty trained, but he fooled us all and did it a month shy of his 3rd birthday. Boys truly are harder to potty train. We've had a hint of fall this week, with unseasonably cool temps (as in 40 degrees below normal), and lots of rain and thunderstorms. I know it's just a tease, but it does mean my favorite time of year is just around the corner! By the way, still can't find a cheap flight :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Maggie was actually so much harder to train. She was willing to try, but then it took months. Leo was completely unwilling to try until this summer and the discovery that he wanted a red potty. Then, once we got serious and said we devote the time to it, he showed he'd had the skills all along and was just holding out on us. He's a stinker, he is.

      Delete
  6. What an amazing list of beginnings and endings, and new beginnings! Leo rocks and you both deserve all the candy!
    I am very impressed with the handy way you can make things too! And talking about ancestors is endlessly fascinating to me. I see so many similarities, at least in my family. between us all. I love the talents they gave some of us and really believe they were passed on. It makes me happy.
    PS: I love fall! xox jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I love the talents I have that I can remember seeing in grandparents.

      Delete
  7. Potty training...boy have I put those memories in deep deep storage!
    Carbon Dioxide? Oh, yes, get that fixed right away. I would prefer to know you are all safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't at dangerous levels, but now it's fixed for good. Whew.

      Delete
  8. Looks as though you have been busy with projects! So glad that the carbon monoxide problem has been solved. Ole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Wasn't dangerous, but still good to be taken care of.

      Delete
  9. All I saw was 'done with diapers' in neon lights. It's been a while for me but I remember the sense of triumph and relief. Congratulations and way to go, Leo!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG carbon monoxide -- I've been MIA for a bit because of holidays. I hope that all is ok?! That is scary business.
    And hell to the yes on diapers. Can we do a burning of the diaper party?!
    And pictures of the sign please!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too scary. Wasn't at dangerous levels, but still glad we got it taken care of.
      Burn the diapers! But sell the cloth ones.

      Delete
  11. empty it ourselves??!! what the hell?

    (the address sign sounds like a good project, both for the fact of doing it (which in my world can be huge) and for the potential to enhance as you go)

    yeah, the Summer seems to not be endless (maybe next year)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean the potty? Yeah, he wanted a little personal one, and I'm willing to go that way because it meant he would use it. But I'll be glad when he moves to the real one, but he's so tiny he falls in!

      Delete
  12. Woo - well done. And I do mean you, as well as him. Potty training is a little hard on the grown ups as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much easier with this one than the last! At least after he was willing to give it a go.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! No more diapers is a big step!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's SO nice to come back here and read your lovely thankfuls, my friend! NO MORE DIAPERS is HUGE!!!! And yes, it's been chilly here and I feel the fall sneaking in... it stirs me, in both good and bad ways. We are getting our first colds of the school year already! THAT part I don't like at all... Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!