Friday, December 4, 2015

TToT102: Not At Ease

I am not at ease this week. I feel gripped by a kind of nervous energy which is far from pleasant. But since this is the TToT, we're looking for silver linings here. And nervous energy can sometimes lead to great productivity, which it happens to have led to this week.

I have:

1. Put up the tree.

2. Made a new tree skirt from an old tablecloth I loved that got a hole in it from some sort of corrosive liquid that probably never should have been in the same area as our dining room table.

3. Finished a major project I've been working on for months. And months. Leo and I concocted the bright idea that it would be fun to make models of sports balls from styrofoam balls. I don't think there's much point in delving into how complicated the process became or how long we kicked those d%#n balls around the office (because they were always rolling around and I kept putting off working on them) or how hard it is to figure out where to paint the black pentagons on the soccer ball (I never got it right, but I did learn the white spaces are hexagons, not also pentagons).


Clap for me. I need it.

4. After cleaning up the second sequin bomb I found on the office floor, I promised I'd clean up the next with the vacuum. I felt a little bad as I did it tonight, but the sound of the vacuum removing all those tiny sequins from my life was incredibly satisfying.

5. I made a new fabric basket with tall sides and put the ziploc bags of sequins in it on a high shelf. I'm hoping the fact that they can't immediately be seen will be enough of a deterrent not to go climbing in search of them.

And finally I'm thankful for Lisa who makes my life better by (in the midst of all her stress) by assuring me that all my bad feelings aren't so bad that she doesn't have them too. And there's comfort in sharing them.

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

26 comments :

  1. OK. Let me just say that you can get rid of the sequin guilt! It's absolutely OK to vacuum it up! And, wow! to your styrofoam sports balls! I hope this next week is more relaxing and fun for you--and sequin-free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind if they're gotten out so long as they're then cleaned up. But one parents, no names named, doesn't supervise as carefully. :)

      Delete
  2. This time of the year can by horribly overwhelming, especially for moms of preschoolers. I am really impressed with the completed sport balls hanging from Leo's ceiling. That is an amazing project and worth all the time you put into it. It's funny how when you think you are on the last edge of your nerve and you spy the sequins on the floor and you don't know whether to cry or scream. And you realize your edge, as an edge. Enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My edge has an edge. I like that. Many edges, all the way around. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice work with the sports balls! They look real! As a mother of soccer kids who has had to make innumerable soccer cakes, soccer balls are the worst! It took me a long time to figure out the hexagon/pentagon pattern.
    I can't even believe you keep a stash of sequins in your house. :) Feel no guilt whatsoever about vacuuming a pile of them up. I hope the coming week has a lot less nervous energy for you, even if it means not as many things get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're left over from another project. I can't stand to through craft supplies away. You never know when you might need them.
      I could do with getting less done if I feel more settled.

      Delete
    2. Throw. What was that misspelling about?

      Delete
  4. couldn't you have just, like stuck holes in (real) soccer balls and such and string 'em…. (assuming it's for a young child), it would be years before they could reach them and find out that they were store-bought, ya know?
    ..hell, why limit it to soccer? you could do a whiffle balls, a soft ball…a bowling ball! (that's a 'sport' too, you know)
    good vid last night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, yes. Definitely. And don't think it didn't occur to me after I'd gotten started and figured out how fully a pain the a#$ the project was going to be. And after this week, yeah, bowling ball, sure.

      Delete
  5. *wildly clapping here* Your tree looked beautiful last night! Although I can' recall seeing the new skirt :(
    I'm also giving a hand of applause to your nervous energy. Looked what it produced! You clever woman you :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. *jumpyclaps*

    Those balls are TOTALLY AWESOME! You did a brilliant, BRILLIANT JOB! WELL DONE YOU :D :D :D

    Also, GLITTERINESS! I would have helped you tidy, but (because I'm demanding) I expect I would have sprinkled some of the sequins onto you.

    SO GLAD that you and Lisa have each other. Such a lovely friendship to see growing stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally would have sprinkled me. Then I would have vacuumed you.

      Delete
  7. You have been quite creative lately...always a messy but good thing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I like to have a "project" going at all times.

      Delete
  8. I love that you thought of repurposing your ruined tablecloth into a tree skirt. Genius, that is what you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing pleases me more than a new outcome with an old item.

      Delete
  9. I cant recall who I know that says it but someone I know says "AMAZE-BALLS!" all the time... now those really are! You would never know they arent the real deal!!!! and y'know... remember to cut yourself some slack on the bad feeling stuff... I have a feeling you are quite the normal person and if you lose all those lousy ass feelings youre gonna make the rest of us look bad! and once we all realize its about me... well, everything should settle into place! xo feel better ... youre one of my all time favs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth Teliho, I think. Other people too. But it makes me think of Beth Teliho.
      Hey, you're one of my favs too! And that's high praise, but I don't think it's true--the bad feelings.

      Delete
  10. Sequins and sparkles. It's that time of the year for shiny, bright things.
    Stress too.
    :-)
    None of us would get through all that without a friend or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and the TToT provides some quality ones.

      Delete
  11. I keep meaning to make some fabric baskets, or any baskets really. The cost to buy them, or at least the nicer ones, is pretty expensive.

    I take it cleaning up sequins is as bad as glitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Baskets are absurdly expensive, and I need some of a very specific size.
      Glitter is the worst. Even vacuuming doesn't always get it all. Sequins are nothing in comparison.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!