Sunday, February 7, 2016

TToT108: Strong Odors and a BIG PARTY (Birthday Weekend #2)

Remember how I got that fabulous new stove last fall? I love it. Among its other attributes, you can program its start for a later time. This comes in handy on Thursdays when we have gymnastics. I set it to start about thirty minutes before we return. Once we get home, it's preheated and ready for its task of defrosting and heating the kids' Thursday night meal of chicken nuggets and sweet potato fries (aka, the high point of my daughter's week).

Well, this week Brian also brought home an enormous box of baked breads and pastries. The very devil in my house. I complained about it to Clark as I sent him my ever-inflating number each morning. It was a large box, wrapped in cellophane, and we stored it in the oven to keep the treats fresh.

I bet you know where I'm going.

And sure enough, when we arrived home Thursday night, I puzzled over the smoke and smell for a fraction of a second before rushing to the oven and tossing the plastic-plastered bagels, muffins, and cinnamon rolls in their deeply singed cardboard box out the kitchen door. 

Have you ever smelled the smell of oven-burned cellophane? It was merely a puddle on the oven floor by the time we got home. Still not entirely sure where the twistie disappeared to.

I spent that evening scraping plastic drips and puddles off the racks and floor of my pristine new oven with a razor blade (hence the cuts on my fingers) and giving my house as long an airing as I could stand considering the temperatures. Nevertheless, the smell remained.

That is, until I had a bright idea to put a small bottle of peppermint oil in each bathroom of our house (it's only taken me a year to follow through on that idea, Dyanne). While portioning it out into smaller bottle, I managed to spill a good tablespoon of it all over the counter. While my eyes still sting and water and I get a good sinus clearning every time I wipe that part of the counter still, two days later, I will say the smell of burnt plastic is gone from my house. Now it smells like a candy cane.

But an even bigger thankful of this week is for friends. I got two cards in the mail from two of my dear cohosts, a sweet email and offer from another, and two others' (plus a TToT regular and relative's) attendance at my party on Friday! You know who you are, and I thank you from deep, deep in my heart for making my birthday special.


The party was much fun with attendees from all different parts of my life and serenading from some of my favorite chorus members. Then Lizzi and Kristi stayed over at my house, and let's just say their presence made it...a night to remember. Plus, they gave me two perfectly perfect gifts that just illustrate how well blogger friends can know each other.


But, finally, BIGGEST THANKFUL OF ALL goes to the hubs who has expended all kinds of energy, time (that he does not have), and money to make me feel loved and honored on this momentous birthday!

GO BRONCOS!

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful

7 comments :

  1. The Broncos JUST WON OMG and thank YOU for an amazing party and for letting me stay over and for brunch and the opportunity to become the Mags Whisperer at the wee hours... that is something I'll hold near and dear for the rest of forever. As I will your smiles and your cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy birthday!!!! With the exception of the burnt offering, it sounds like you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday!
    And you have my sympathies on the melted cellophane (and wasted donuts!)
    My mom once cooked the Christmas ham, still in the plastic mesh AND the shrink wrap. Talk about a horrendous smell.
    That said, I love the idea of a stove you can schedule. Now, if they could just make one that scrubbed itself....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuck. What a mess. I recently left microwave popcorn in a few seconds too long and the smell too days to remove. This sounds a lot worse. So many delicious treats gone to nothing. So much work you had to do so glad you could celebrate after. Sounds like a great party was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One way to get rid of the devil is to burn it (or melt it). Still mad I couldn't make it to your party. I hope I'll be around for the next celebration. Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh Sarah I had the most delightfully wonderful times with you this week. I LOVED meeting you and Leo and Surprise Dude for lunch, and visiting the museum with you. Your party was great (in most ways, though I think you know I have learned that I'm not to be trusted when drunk, and should try NOT to do that in future), and the bloody mary brunch was AWESOME, and thank you, THANK YOU for letting me join in, and for letting K and I stay over, and for all the fun you and the Dude are - you're both such wonderful, engaging, delightful people, and THANK YOU for having this birthday and inviting me. It was so special and wonderful and I LOVED it. (and yes, I know you :) )

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!